11.06.2013

Dia De Los Muertos Shrines

I made these shrines for the Day of the Dead swap hosted by Retro Cafe Art Gallery.  The only rule was that we had to pick from a few shrine kits to use.  In the past I have always leaned towards using primary colors for these shrines.  This time I wanted to do something a little different so I chose new colors to work with.  I am very happy with the orange and yellows even though neither is a favorite color of mine. 
 
In this first shrine I painted the inside and outside with orange and red .  Neat little trick I learned when making this shrine is the sand it down before painting.  Then use you sandpaper again on the dry paint to wear it out a little.  I found a neat chipboard piece which I made glittery and attached to the roof.  I sandwiched the papal picado between the two layers.  To make the border design I used a Sharpie Paint Pen.  If you haven't tried one of these do ASAP!  I ordered the little poly candles from Etsy and everything else was in my stash.

This second shrine is somewhat similar to the first with the use of the skull/crown/flower eyes and candle but this is where my inspiration took me.  I did use a different kind of skull bead which is flat rather than 3D as is the crown.  The border is done with gold dresden flowers and the top has yellow and orange paper roses.  

I am hoping that whomever receives them in the swap loves them as much as I do.  I had a hard time sending them away but I know with so many other amazing artists who play along that I will get something gorgeous in return.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails