3.29.2013

Foodie Friday-Mocha Angel Food Cake


This recipe is for a light fluffy angel food cake with a bit of a twist.  It's mocha flavored!  I first had this cake when I was 11 or 12 and my step-grandma made it.  I wanted to devour that entire cake.  For some reason I haven't made very often if ever at all.  I was telling a co-worker about it and promised to whip one up sometime. Well since it was her birthday I decided I make it and bring it to the office to share. I have seen recipes online for making it from scratch but I cheated and used a box mix which makes it super simple to make.

 It's funny how the frosting looks almost exactly like the batter!  The original cake I had also had toasted almonds on it and was actually frosted. Since I was bringing it to work and I don't have anything to transport a cake I ended up cutting it into slices and putting the frosting in a container.

It's an easy recipe and one that seems to be a hit with everyone who tries it.

For the cake:
1 box angel food cake mix
1 1/4 cup cold coffee
1 Tbsp cocoa

Mix the cake mix and cocoa together then add the coffee and mix till nice and fluffy.
Pour into angel food cake pan and bake according to the package directions.

For the frosting:
1 tub Cool Whip
Cocoa

Blend Cool Whip with 1 Tbsp cocoa.  Taste and add more if needed.

Garnish with toasted almonds

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails